Now that you have booked your session, you should know what to expect. I have been a photographer for the past 11 years, specializing in newborn photography for the past 4 years, and have taken several courses in posing. With babies, safety is my priority, and my clients trust me to take care of them, and prep them for their big shoot.
What to expect
Each newborn session lasts 2.5 to 3 hours. There is no rush, and I always make sure to give clients more than enough time to get ready. All moms come into the studio and are greeted by a warm temperature and white noise machine. After the baby has a full feed, he/she is cuddled until they are in a sleepy mode. Once this happens, I take the baby and spend enough time with the baby so that he/she relaxes further into my arms; I’m a baby whisperer of sorts.
A newborn session comprises of the following:
- Wrapped shots: in the first session, the baby is wrapped in soft stretchy fabric, and made to feel comfortable in order to get into a deeper sleep.
- Naked shots: next is a series of naked posed shots with different accessories, including headbands, wings, crowns and a variety of backdrops.
- Prop set-ups: parents get to choose 2 to 3 props they like. Depending on what the parents want and what prop they choose, I design a setup that works and photographs well. For inspiration, parents are welcome to visit my Facebook page.
- Dad and baby: organic and hand shots of dad and baby, done in black and white.
- Mom and baby: done in black and white, producing very artistic images.
- Lighter backdrop, mom and baby: angelic and soft images on a white background.
- Lighter backdrop, dad and baby: images on a white background.
- Older sibling and family*: an older sibling can be incorporated into the setup, and the session can be split into two portions. The newborn portion is more time-sensitive and done first. The older sibling is brought in on another day, and that session typically lasts 45 minutes to 1 hour.
*Optional add on, included in session price.
How to prepare
Once a session is pre-booked with a deposit, an information package will be sent with more specifics on how to prepare, but here are a few tips to get you started:
- For breastfeeding moms, stay away from leafy vegetables or acidic foods for 24-28 hours prior to the session to ensure baby is comfortable.
- On the day of the session, arrange the baby’s feeding schedule to 2.5 to 3 hours prior to the studio start, then do a full feed once you arrive at the studio, to ensure baby is sleepy and ready for action.
Bring diapers and food with you to make baby comfortable – all other things will be provided by myself.